There are many types of cat carriers that you can possibly choose from. However, how much do they weigh exactly? To give you an average they can weigh between 4 ounces to 5 pounds depending on the type of carrier. Soft cat carriers tend to weight lighter but the harder plastic kind tend to weigh a little bit more.
Other throw away type of cat carriers that are made out of cardboard tend to weigh around 1 pound. To go into more detail here is a list of different cat carrier types and their listed weight.
Hard Cat Carriers
Hard cat carriers are plastic/metal types of carriers that are really sturdy.
- Sleepypod Mobile Pet Bed: 5.51 pounds
- Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel: 1.26 pounds
- SportPet Designs Foldable Travel Cat Carrier: 4.34 pounds
- Catit Style White Tiger Voyager: 3 pounds
- ibiyaya 5 in 1 Pet Carrier: 4 pounds
So as you can see harder carriers weigh roughly around 1 to 5 pounds.
Soft Cat Carriers
These types of cat carriers are similar to hard carriers but they are made out of fabrics such as mesh and leather.
- PetAmi Premium Airline Approved Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier: 2.4 pounds
- Pet Magasin Airline Approved Cat Carrier: 2.2 pounds
- petisfam Top Load Cat Carrier: 2.4 pounds
- Necoichi Portable Stress Free Cat Cage: 2.6 pounds
- Petsfit Expandable Carrier with Two Extension: 2.87 pounds
So based off of these numbers you are looking at about 2 pounds.
Purse Cat Carriers
These types of cat carriers are, well, purses. They are also made out of similar materials as a regular purse.
- Kenox Fashion Dog Cat Pet Carrier: 2 pounds
- MG Collection Stylish 2 Tone Quilted Soft Sided Travel Dog and Cat Pet Carrier: 1.4 pounds
- Hubulk Dog Carrier Bag Pet Tote Bag: 4.2 ounces
- BETOP HOUSE Fashion Dog Carrier: 2.6 pounds
- PetsHome Dog Carrier Purse: 4.1 pounds.
Purse cat carriers are all over the place in terms of weight so its hard to give an average number but most of them are around 2 pounds.
Cat Sling Carriers
These are the type of cat carrier that you wear over your shoulder.
- FurryFido Adjustable Pet Sling Carrier: 11.2 ounces
- YUDODO Pet Dog Sling Carrier: 14.4 ounces
- iPrimio Dog and Cat Sling Carrier: 4.8 ounces
- i’Pet® Hands-Free Reversible Small Dog Cat Sling Carrier: 4.8 ounces
- Jekeno Small Dog Cat Carrier Sling: 10.2 ounces
These are probably the lightest cat carrier you can use and don’t even weigh a pound. These are great if you are hiking or some other similar activities and need to keep weight down.
Cardboard Cat Carrier
These are disposable cat carriers that you usually use one time.
- Petco Cardboard Cat Carrier: 1.2 pounds
- Cosmic Pet Shuttle Cardboard Carrier: 1 pound
These are one of the lightest type of cat carrier and they are on average about one pound.
Other Things To Consider
Cat carriers can also have optional accessories such as bedding you can insert into and other things you might want to put inside of the carrier it which can add to the weight. If you add linings to the cat carrier it can also add to the weight as well. Other things like a cat litter box, toys etc would also add to the weight.
Fortunately, these things weigh literally just ounces so it won’t make that much of a difference but it is something to consider if you want to keep the weight down.
- Sherpa Travel Airline Approved Pet Carrier Water Proof Comfort Replacement Liners: 4 ounces
- IDEGG Portable Silicone Pet Bowl: 3.2 ounces
- DryFur Pet Carrier Insert Pads: 1 pound
- MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed: 9.6 ounces
- Petsfit Fabric Portable/Foldable Cat Litter Box: 13.6 ounces
So this should give you an idea on what accessories will do to the weight if you decide to bring them along with you.
So there you have it. If you are concerned about weight while you are traveling or if you simply were just curious this guide should give a really good idea on how much cat carriers weigh on average.